Thursday, January 13, 2011

Validated by Condi

The former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice's visit and address in BYU's weekly devotional  created some controversy amongst many members of our assumed predominantly conservative student body. I drove by many bearded protester on my way to the Marriot Center. I found Rice's address validating. She  made it a point to appeal to BYU's administrators by emphasizing her agreement with our foci on family and the philosophy that faith and reason are not conflicting ideas. Though many of my acquaintances found her speech "interesting but lacking",  I thought her impressive. She was adamant on the importance of finding your passion and expanding your world. Obviously, Rice's words made me feel like studying Arabic maybe isn't such a crazy notion. I left feeling confident in my passion for the Middle East. Even though I don't know what I will do with my passion, i know that it is something that i want to do for the rest of my life. That is something.

2 comments:

  1. so ahead of me. my life is planned until May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think anyone who protested her speech was a liberal hipster douche and I agree completely with your post except that studying Arabic is crazy

    ReplyDelete